N.J. college student who choked on pancakes at contest died of asphyxia

1 Philadelphia

Philadelphia News & Search

1 News - 1 eMovies - 1 eMusic - 1 eBooks - 1 Search

A medical examiner has ruled that a college student from New Jersey who choked during an pancake eating contest on campus died of accidental asphyxia.

The New York City chief medical examiner’s office released autopsy results Wednesday for Caitlin Nelson, a 20-year-old from Clark, N.J, who attended Sacred Heart University in Fairfield, Conn The official cause of death was “asphyxia due to obstruction of airway by bolus of food.”

Nelson died at a hospital in New York on Sunday, three days after collapsing during a pancake-eating contest. Nursing students and first-responders performed lifesaving measures at the scene, and she was transported to a hospital in critical condition.


Her father, James, was a Port Authority of New York and New Jersey police officer who died on 9/11 when Caitlin was 5.

An eating challenge also proved deadly last weekend in Denver.

Travis Malouff, 42, choked to death Sunday while trying to eat a half-pound glazed doughnut the size of a small cake in 80 seconds as part of a Denver doughnut shop’s eating challenge.





Voodoo Doughnuts has suspended the challenge.










More Coverage









1 Philadelphia

Philadelphia News & Search

1 News - 1 eMovies - 1 eMusic - 1 eBooks - 1 Search


Facebooktwitterredditpinterestlinkedinmail

Facebooktwitterlinkedinrssyoutube

Leave a Reply