Philadelphia News & Search
The NFL draft is coming to Philadelphia in April, bringing scores of fans and a month of traffic disruptions around the Benjamin Franklin Parkway with it.
Road closures for the April 27 to 29 event start April 10 and last through May 7, according to the city. The prolonged impact on the Parkway and surrounding streets is due to set-up and tear-down for the draft’s first outdoor stage and a fan festival that will take place throughout the event.
The draft will be held at an outdoor theater outside the Philadelphia Museum of Art. The free festival, called the NFL Draft Experience, has drawn record interest and will take place on the Parkway, featuring giant LED screens, a zip line, exhibits and more.
The lane and road closures come in phases leading up to the draft, and motorists should expect delays around the Parkway and Art Museum throughout. Here’s what you need to know about how traffic will be affected.
From April 10 at 12:01 a.m. to May 7 at 11:59 p.m.:
- Spring Garden Street westbound closed at Pennsylvania Avenue
- Westbound center of Parkway will maintain two lanes from 20th Street to Eakins Oval; left lane closed from Eakins Oval to Spring Garden Street; three travel lanes open at Kelly Drive
- Right two lanes of Eakins Oval in front of Art Museum closed
- Lane drop on southbound Kelly Drive from 25th Street to the Parkway
From April 19 at 12:01 a.m. to May 2 at 11:59 p.m.:
- Inner lanes of Parkway closed from Eakins Oval to 20th Street
From April 24 at 7 p.m. to May 1 at 5 a.m.:
- Parkway closed from 20th Street to Art Museum
- Kelly Drive closed at Fairmount Avenue
- Traffic heading into Center City from Spring Garden Street Bridge or Martin Luther King Jr. Drive must exit Eakins Oval on the 24th Street ramp
- Traffic heading inbound on Kelly Drive most exit the drive at Fairmount Avenue
From April 25 at 12:01 a.m. to May 1 at 5 a.m.:
- 21st Street closed from Winter to Spring Garden Streets
- 22nd Street closed from Race to Spring Garden Streets
- 23rd Street closed from Fairmount Avenue to Parkway
- 24th Street closed from Parkway to Park Towne Place
- Martin Luther King Jr. Drive closed at Sweet Briar Drive (will be open April 27 and 28 from 5 to 10 a.m. for access to Interstate 676 via 24th Street)
- Kelly Drive closed from Parkway to Fairmount Avenue
- Spring Garden Street Bridge closed at 31st Street (will be open April 27 and 28 from 5 a.m. to 10 a.m.)
- Spring Garden Street closed from 22nd Street to Parkway
- Pennsylvania Avenue closed from Hamilton Street to Fairmount Avenue
- Pennsylvania Avenue and Callowhill Street closed from 20th to 21st Streets
- Park Town Place closed from 22nd to 24th Streets
- I-676 westbound off-ramp at 22nd Street closed
- Local access only west of 22nd Street: Wallace, Mount Vernon, Green, Judson and Brandywine Streets
Parking restrictions: Start April 25 and affect both sides of the street unless otherwise noted
- 2400 block of Pennsylvania Avenue (starts April 5, south side only)
- Pennsylvania Avenue from 22nd Street to Fairmount Avenue (south side only)
- Winter Street from 20th to 22nd Streets
- 20th Street from Vine to Callowhill Streets (east side only)
- 21st Street from Parkway to Race Street
- 22nd Street from Winter to Spring Garden Streets
- Park Towne Place from 22nd to 24th Streets
Free parking: NFL Draft Experience attendees can park for free at the stadium complex in South Philadelphia and take the Broad Street Line into Center City.
Bikes and pedestrians: The city says some bicycle lanes and sidewalks in the area will be closed. Cyclists and pedestrians should follow the signs for detours.
Philadelphia News & Search