FOP sues to stop release of officers’ names after police shootings

1 Philadelphia

Philadelphia News & Search

1 News - 1 eMovies - 1 eMusic - 1 eBooks - 1 Search

A day after protesters gathered outside the Bustleton home of a police officer involved in a fatal shooting in June, the local Fraternal Order of Police lodge filed a lawsuit Friday seeking to block the Police Department policy of releasing within 72 hours the names of officers who shoot people.



The suit filed in Common Pleas Court is a direct response to a small but raucous demonstration Thursday night outside the home of Officer Ryan Pownall, who fatally shot David Jones, 30, in North Philadelphia while Jones fled from a pedestrian stop. Police have said Jones reached for an illegal gun before he ran away.

The filing is also the latest ripple in the months-long fallout from Jones’ death, which is under investigation by the Attorney General’s Office. Earlier Friday, State Rep. Martina White, a Republican who represents Northeast Philadelphia, released a statement criticizing the protesters as well as Mayor Kenney and Police Commissioner Richard Ross, who she said did not take enough action to stop the protest.


“Black Lives Matter activists invaded a residential neighborhood without a permit, utilized bullhorns to spew profanity, and threatened an endless occupation of that neighborhood until their demands are met,” White said.

Kenney released a statement distancing himself from the demonstration, during which protesters gathered to call for Pownall’s firing and prosecution, using bullhorns and putting up posters that said Pownall was “wanted for the murder of David Jones.” A large police presence was also on hand to watch the protesters.

“There are many Philadelphians and officers who are productively working to build police-community trust, including pushing for transparency and reform, which Commissioner Ross and I both agree must continue,” Kenney said. “What happened [Thursday] night did nothing to move those efforts forward.”





The FOP’s suit argues that by continuing to release the names of officers involved in shootings, those officers will “suffer immediate and substantial harm, particularly with regard to their well-being and the safety of their families.” Pownall, the suit said, has been subjected to death threats, and his wife has feared for the safety of the children.

The suit argues that the city implemented the policy unilaterally in 2015, violating state labor laws. It asks for the court to block the department from enforcing the policy, thus preventing the officers’ names from being released within days of the incident.

Lauren Hitt, Kenney’s spokeswoman, said the city was “prepared to defend the policy.”

The policy has been the subject of previous debate over the past year. White, elected to the State House in 2015, has introduced a bill that would delay releasing officers’ names until 30 days after a shooting — a measure that Ross and Gov. Wolf have both said they oppose. Wolf, a Democrat, vetoed similar legislation last year after it passed through the Republican-controlled Legislature, and the governor’s spokesman said in March that Wolf’s opposition was unchanged.

Lawyers for the FOP and the city were meeting Friday afternoon to discuss next steps. It was not immediately clear when or if a hearing would occur.

Staff writer Joseph A. Slobodzian contributed to this article.


























Please enable JavaScript to view the comments powered by Disqus.


1 Philadelphia

Philadelphia News & Search

1 News - 1 eMovies - 1 eMusic - 1 eBooks - 1 Search


Facebooktwitterredditpinterestlinkedinmail

Facebooktwitterlinkedinrssyoutube

Leave a Reply