Cigarette tossed into mulch blamed for fire at popular Havertown pub

1 Philadelphia

Philadelphia News & Search

1 News - 1 eMovies - 1 eMusic - 1 eBooks - 1 Search

A cigarette carelessly tossed into mulch is being blamed for the raging fire that consumed the deck at Barnaby’s Restaurant and Pub, a populuar watering hole in Havertown.


The fire outside the West Chester Pike eatery broke out about 5:25 a.m. and quickly went to a second alarm, said Police Chief John Viola of Haverford Township, which includes Havertown.

Five Haverford fire companies, along with companies from nearby Springfield and Marple Townships and Narberth Ambulance responded to the fire 


“By the time the first call came in it was a heavy volume of fire,” said Viola, who said a cigarette discarded in ulch probably caused the blaze. “It smouldered and caught on the deck and went from there.”

Viola said restaurant employees had recently put out a few small smouldering mulch fires caused by cigarettes. A staff member reported that they smelled “something burning” about 11 p.m. but a search turned up nothing. The last staff member left the location about 2:30 a.m, he said. 




“When you put it all together, it leads to a discarded cigarette,” said Viola.

The deck was demolished in the fire and the interior of the restaurant sustained heavy smoke and water damage, but the building was “absolutely not a total loss,” Viola said. There was about about 18 inches of water in the basement and about two to three inches on the first floor, he added.

“The sprinkler probably saved the building itself,” he said. “It ran for a good hour to and hour and half.”

No injuries were reported. Three cars left overnight in the middle of the parking lot had parts that were melted from the intense heat, he said.

Viola said the area was originally the site of an operating saw mill. An hotel, appropriately named the Saw Mill Inn, was located there for a while, he said.




Mulch fires outside restaurants are not uncommon, Viola said. “In the summer time we get a lot of them.”

In 2007, a lit cigarette tossed onto a mulch pile outside a Chili’s Grill & Bar in Cherry Hill was the cause of a fire that demolished that and an adjoining eatery.













More Coverage









<![CDATA[<![CDATA[]]]]>]]>
<![CDATA[<![CDATA[]]]]>]]>
Please enable JavaScript to view the comments powered by Disqus.


1 Philadelphia

Philadelphia News & Search

1 News - 1 eMovies - 1 eMusic - 1 eBooks - 1 Search


Facebooktwitterredditpinterestlinkedinmail

Facebooktwitterlinkedinrssyoutube

Leave a Reply